F.M. Kirby Center, Wilkes-Barre

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

#10080356
Location Image 1
Location Image 2
Location Image 3
Location Image 4
Location Image 5

Originally called the Comerford Movie Theatre, the F.M. Kirby Center was built in 1937; completed & opened in 1938. The Art Deco building with its lavish interior contains five lobbies, rose colored mirrors, tall fluted columns and a giant chandelier in the main lobby. The theatre eventually fell into disrepair and was abandoned until a group of investors led by Albert Boscov acquired it in 1985. The refurbished theatre was reopened in 1986 as the F.M. Kirby Center, named after the co-founder of Woolworths, a Wiles-Barre native.

County
Luzerne
Region
Northeast
Location

71 Public Square
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 18701, United States