Fort Roberdeau was constructed in Blair County during the Revolutionary War, circa 1778, by Daniel Roberdeau, a member of the Continental Congress. In the spring of 1778 the American forces suffered what appeared to be insurmountable losses, including the British occupation of their capital city, Philadelphia; George Washington's army was destitute in Valley Forge and Tories across the Commonwealth were beginning to take a stand against their American enemies.
Supplies for the army were in short supply. They lacked food, clothing and most importantly the material they needed to wage war. Most notably, there was little lead for bullets and musket balls.
Daniel Roberdeau, aware of lead mines in central Pennsylvania, volunteered to organize an expedition to the mines to determine if it was possible to obtain a supply of lead.
At his own expense, Roberdeau built a stockade to protect the lead mining and smelting operation. The fort also became a storage depot for ordnance, ammunition, and other supplies until 1780, and was garrisoned by the militia of Cumberland and Bedford Counties. Settlers often found safety at Fort Roberdeau during raids by parties of British rangers and their Indian allies.
Location
383 Fort Roberdeau Road
Altoona, Pennsylvania, 16601, United States