1889 CLUBHOUSE, SAINT MICHAEL

SOUTH FORK FISHING & HUNTING CLUBHOUSE

Saint Michael, Pennsylvania, United States

#10081897
Location Image 1

The 1889 Clubhouse is infamous as the site where the Johnstown Flood of 1889 began. The clubhouse was part of the South Fork Fishing & Hunting Club founded by Pittsburgh's elite including Henry Frick, Andrew Mellon & Andrew Carnegie. The clubhouse contained 47 rooms to lodge the members. Most importantly, the club owned & operated the Conemaugh Dam which ruptured on May 31, 1889 causing what is known as the greatest flood tragedy in US history. Negligence resulting from poor maintenaince, shoddy materials and upkeep is blamed for the resulting flood.

County
Cambria
Region
Central
Ownership
government
Location

186 Main Street
Saint Michael, Pennsylvania, 15951, United States