Originally called the Comerford Movie Theatre, the F.M. Kirby Center was built in 1937; completed & opened in 1938. The Art Deco building with its lavish interior contains five lobbies, rose colored mirrors, tall fluted columns and a giant chandelier in the main lobby. The theatre eventually fell into disrepair and was abandoned until a group of investors led by Albert Boscov acquired it in 1985. The refurbished theatre was reopened in 1986 as the F.M. Kirby Center, named after the co-founder of Woolworths, a Wiles-Barre native.
Location
71 Public Square
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 18701, United States