Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Ground was broken for the Chapel in 1933; it was completed and dedicated in 1938. Architecturally it is a modified cruciform plan with stone vaults, high ceilings and repeated arches. The extensive use of glass was typical of American academic and religious architecture of this period. It is 146 feet long, 55 feet wide at the transept, and 100 feet high at the nave with its steeple reaching 256 feet above the ground. The Chapel’s walls, (interior and exterior), are limestone. The interio...